Sunday 20 February 2011

Thailand Part 1 :)


As i briefly explained in my profile i do have a love of travelling, however i was (unfortunately) not born into a family with (any) money, so i have had to do wot i have dun as cheaply as possible. After graduating uni in May last year and it taking me about three months to actually find a full time job, i have successfully paid bak my £1600 over draft :) Now after that was accomplished i felt as though i was ready to start planning this years adventure!!
It all started when I went to Sweeden earlier this year to visit a dear friend of mine (Jenny Jonemark) and whilst I was there we were discissing her plans to go to Thailand this year for a short holiday. Which got me thinking about how many years I have been on about wantin to see Thailand and I thought why don't I do it this year!
However there was one slight drawback with this spontaneous thought and that was "no way am i travelling round Thailand on my own", even though i do consider myself quite an independent and courageous person, im also not stupid enough to get mysel killed (Touch Wood). Soooooooooooooooooooo this resulted in me searching for volunteer placements in Thailand and PPPPOOOOOOOOOFFFFFF i suddenly realised that I have always wanted to ride an elephant :) Now some of u may laugh but I assure you that when I went to work in Cape Town for The Big Issue I was absolutely devastated that I never came across a wandering elephant for me to take a runnin leap on.
So this mixed quite well because Thailand offers many different elephant parks for volunteers to go and work on, so my search began :D
My adventure plan then developed when i was telling my good friend Jen (Fox) what I was doing, she then expressed her wish to travel round Thailand aswell, (not for riding elephants as she has already dun tht.................she DID come across them in South Africa) and thus the plan developed into something that will actually happen.
So people of blogspot (my 4 followers) as of November I will be travelling out to Thailand for a weeks placement on an elephant park and will be met by jen (spreadsheet in hand) for a further 2 weeks of fun, travelling and hopefully no bickering :)
As of yet nothing has been booked but (fingers crossed) the placement will be secured by the end of the week and thanks to Jen I am saving a mass amount of money because she manged to find me this www.elephantnaturefoundation.org
They only charge around £250 a week while other Bigger named companies charge around £500 a week and £700 for 2. Also the money you give goes towards the care of the elephants, which is exactly what I was looking for :)
I will be updating me and Jen's Thailand Adventure when ever progress is made, but there is 1 thing im certain of..................... i cant friggin w8 :D

1 comment:

  1. amazing idea with the elephant park will be very jealous of you getting to look after them

    ReplyDelete