Wednesday 2 February 2011

Fish n' Feet

The latest beauty craze that has quickly swept over England has now reached SunSeekers in Lancaster and I have to admit it is definitely something worth trying.

Now I’m not going to lie, I was extremely hesitant when I first heard about Fish n’ Feet, it didn’t appeal to me at all, purely because I have a very low pain threshold and was convinced that it was going to hurt. However I found it relaxing, therapeutic and effective.

Fish n’ Feet is a painless pedicure that involves you submerging your feet into a tank of Garra Rufa fish which suck the dead skin cells off your feet and release an enzyme into your skin. It simply feels like putting your feet into a Jacuzzi while you sit back and relax. In order for the fish to survive the water needs to be heated to 30C so you don’t have to worry about the water being too cold as it is at just the right temperature.

Before you put your feet into the tank you have to put your feet into a bowl of warm water to make sure that your feet are clean and that no material from your socks get into the tank, as these fish are very sensitive and extremely expensive to buy in.

As soon as I got used to the feeling of lots of little fish sucking on my feet (which took a matter of seconds) I felt very relaxed and very pampered. I almost forgot why I was there, which was too see if this type of pedicure actually worked! And I am happy to report that my feet have not felt his smooth in years (especially since I took up barmaiding, which isn’t as kind on your feet as sitting in an office all day would be) so I definitely recommend it.

This type of treatment originated in Turkey 200 years ago and has been very popular in countries such as Iran, Siberia and Iraq. It is also believed to help relieve skin irritations such as psoriasis and it can also enhance your tan. The manager of Fish n Feet, Asley Bolsouer, actually advises people that they have a Fish n ’Feet treatment before they go on the sunbeds as it stimulates blood circulation around the body so therefore your skin cells receive more oxygenated blood which helps the tanning process.

If you are interested in going to SunSeekers for this type of pedicure then you don’t have to book an appointment you just show up, however you need to take in to account that you can’t have moisturiser or fake tan on your feet as it is poisonous to the fish, it is also not advised to use one of the tanks if you have an open wound.

For a 15 minute treatment it costs £10 and for 25 minutes it costs £15, but they do offer deals, such as if 2 people go together then it costs £8 for 15 minutes and £12 for 25 minutes.

This is a unique spa treatment that is getting more and more popular by the day, it is an organic and natural way of treating your feet without the pain and soreness that some pedicures can cause, and I am happy to tell you that it is definitely something I will be treating myself to again.

No comments:

Post a Comment